Friday, November 1, 2013

Photos for a Photographer

 
Doing photos for fellow photographers is always fun. I get the added pressure of the analyzing eye on everything I do plus the end result must meet expectations!
I had the pleasure of being the first photographer to do photos for Toad Hollow Photography' Scott Johnson. Scott Johnson, the man who will no longer be a faceless enigma behind the camera, saw some of my work and decided I was the one for the job. 
 
Scott is big into shooting historical sites and buildings and employs HDR (multiple exposure layering) in his style. HDR photos are capable of capturing tonal ranges that are not really there, the way our eyes see in normal light and the colour vibrancy tends to be quite extreme.

To tie Scott's shooting style in with my photos of him, I decided to go a bit crazy! I got a bunch of lights shooting a bunch of crazy colour on Scott and his surroundings. For locations, we decided on some buildings with character, texture and maybe even some history.
 
 


 
 

This guy just had to take an iphone photo of his bike while I was setting up to shoot Scott. I had everything ready in time to grab this one of him riding off...
 
This is probably one of the oldest buildings in the Cowichan Valley, the old Butter Church in Cowichan Bay. I,m pretty sure every photographer around has done photos here!

Thanks to Scott for his vision and trust in me! And all the best to Toad Hollow Photography in documenting historic sites and scenes here and abroad! 
 

kurtknock.com



2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much Kurt! I had a great time hanging out with a fellow photographer talking shop and watching you work your magic in the field! These are without any doubt the best portraits I've ever seen of myself and they are part of the foundation of our rebranding process here at Toad Hollow. GREAT work, my friend, I hope to have a chance to meet again and as I said before I am sure my wife and I will be coming to you for a portrait session, this time of a more conventional sort. Best wishes, Kurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott (Toad Hollow Photography)!
      I look forward to working with you again in the future and all the best with your work!

      Delete