Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Hard Road.


One of the great things about being a photographer is the opportunity to work with new and interesting people. Another aspect I like is coming up with a concept to make a photo look a little more interesting than your average shot.
I recently had the pleasure to do some shots for Hilary Huntley of Trial by Fire Pottery pulling all her wares in her bike trailer. She regularly tows 200lbs worth of pottery and equipment behind her bike to set up at craft fairs and shows. It is very, very, rare to see her in a car. 


To get the shots I was looking for we had to get up early on a weekend to avoid traffic and have good lighting. Too bad it is winter and the morning was quite frosty and cold. Too bad for Hilary. I was OK. I just had to ride in the back of a car with the rear hatch open and do my thing with the camera. Her husband, Dave, was driving and trying to keep the distance between us and Hilary just right so i could get the car's shadow out of frame.



I know how most people would do this photo shoot. They would get the subject, in this case Hilary, to ride by while they stand at the side of the road and grab a few shots from the side. Easy. And boring. I was looking for the perspective which would allow you to see her face and still give you the sense of motion from the blurred background. The way I see it is there the easy way (which most do) and then there's my way. I will accept the extra work and planning to get the shot that stands out. Thanks to Hilary and Dave for their cooperation!

No comments:

Post a Comment