Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It's not so bad!


When I started getting serious about photography the thought of portraits and studio work did not get me excited. Not at all. I thought I'd be stuck doing boring photos of people who were not interested and just needed photos for relatives.
I was so wrong. When the summer was on its last legs I started to think about my photo options for the upcoming (wet) seasons and put some time and money into my little studio. I'm so glad I did this. On a snowy day like today there is little one can do outdoors unless you're doing ski photos or something like that. The studio opens doors for creativity like I never imagined! I had always seen lame portrait images and didn't want to get stuck doing that.
There are people paying big money for portraits that make me laugh they are so bad. Props and equipment in the shot, bad photoshop work and those hideous mottled backdrops. Give me a break! So my way out was to just wing it. Well sort of. I try not to let other photographers influence my style. When I do look at others' work I'm usually trying to figure out how to make it look better or more interesting. I also do a fair bit of research into what makes my photo heros' work stand out. I don't copy but I do get ideas.


It also helps when you have someone who wants creative photos like Shiyana, pictured here. You can really have fun and explore the limits of your camera and lighting. Given that I have a really simple studio and lighting set-up, I can stick with the rule of "keep it simple, stupid" which is great because it forces you to learn to work with what you've got. I think one is more likely to develop a style when they are pushing the limits of what they have to work with and not copying others.


Having a family to work with is great fun too! It forced me to think again (that hurt) as I had to set up the shot and be in it. I placed an Elmo stuffy straddling the lens of my tripod mounted camera to keep my son's attention here and it actually worked. Our dog had been pacing around in circles and just decided at the right moment to lie down for the shot. Perfect. Well almost. No, actually it is perfect to me. The photo catches us as our family is. This is how I like my family shots to work out - showing the true character. Not your usual, stuffy, "everyone say cheese" shot.
Its like that old Tom Petty song, Even the losers get lucky some times. But sometimes practice pays off...



At any rate, I'm enjoying the creative aspects of portrait/studio work like I would never have imagined. I really love it. It just took some time to realize it!

No comments:

Post a Comment