Tuesday, April 19, 2011

All revved up.


This past Sunday I was asked to shoot photos for Duncan Motorsports' ladies off-road ride. Sounded like fun to me. And it was! We left the shop in form of a small convoy of dual-sport bikes and off-road bikes loaded in vehicles to ride Mt. Prevost and Mt. Sicker.


The weather was your typical crazy mix of sun, clouds and a little snow up on the mountain. The ladies were guided by several experienced guys from the Duncan Motorsports, including the owner, Don Hatten, who is also a professional ralley racer. 


We made a few stops along the way to take photos and my favorite location was a huge slag pile left behind from an old copper mine. The hill must have been around 75 vertical feet and very steep! This made for some exciting shots!


After this stop we made our way to the lunch stop, on Mt. Sicker, looking over the ocean and Gulf Islands. As I was being driven around in a truck, we had to go the long way around the mountain a couple of times as the route the motorcycles were taking was too rough for us.



Action photography is such a change from portrait, or for that matter, any other type of photography. You have to really immerse yourself, and predict what is going to happen just to be able to catch the shot. On the slagpile, I was so close to one of the riders as he went by I was sure I was going to get mangled by his bike (top photo). Instead, he was able to keep the bike upright and I was covered with dirt and rocks. All in a day's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment