Monday, June 13, 2011

On a holding pattern.

Sometimes things in life are just beyond your control and you have to accept that. Getting stressed about things you think you need to do is just a waste of energy. You have to live for the now and accept each day as it comes. This is what I decided two weeks ago when my wife was admitted to hospital. She was starting to have contractions 7 weeks in advance of the scheduled due date for our baby. As a result she had to stay in the hospital for 5 days.
Unfortunately, the hospital isn't the most relaxing place to be. Far from a retreat from home or day-spa experience. The whole time Nina was there, her linens were never changed. Blame cutbacks to the health care system or nurses who just didn't deliver? Not for me to say... At least she's home now.

Now that Kole has his mom back at home, life has settled into a holding pattern type of routine. Nina is on strict bed rest. Whenever she stands up she has contractions so she hasn't even made it down our hallway since first returning home 9 days ago. At least I feel like I'm contributing to the experience. I've been doing all the household duties one might expect a family might need, albeit the floors are not as clean as they could be...
Top it off, last night Kole was sick and throwing up from 11:00-1:30. I had a long day. Lots of laundry.
One thing I wish I had was the dreamy pregnant mom and son photo shoot that Nina and I had been planning. Unfortunately life does not always go as planned and this is when you have to sit back and enjoy the ride and enjoy the experience.

I'm pretty sure our newest addition will be joining us in the next week or so. Hopefully we can hold off 7 more days so the baby can be delivered here, in Duncan by our fantastic midwives, Kate and Selina. Otherwise, we'll likely have to ship out to Vancouver... Yuck. Maybe some photos from the helicopter transfer...
At any rate, I'm not getting much chance to take photos. The first photo was taken yesterday when Kole fell asleep in the car while I was trying to get some groceries and errands taken care of. The second photo was on one of our visits with Nina at the hospital and the last was my favorite from the maternity photos that I did get of Nina.
I have managed to sneak out a couple times for photo shoots while Nina's parents have come over to keep an eye on her. This works well and allows me to get some work done. I have more weddings coming up soon and portrait shoots so all will work out. It always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment