Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Talkin shop.

Lately I've been thinking of some commercial sort of shots I'd like to try in a shop setting. I wanted to do something that looked more interesting than what you'd expect to see in your average car dealership shop. Lucky for me, my friend Todd has a Chrysler dealership here in Duncan and he was keen on letting me do as I liked as long as I didn't cause any trouble. As you might imagine, there are countless ways to get into trouble in an automotive shop, not to mention getting injured. There are power tools everywhere, splatters of oil and fluids here and there and big lifts with heavy vehicles being raised and lowered when needed.

So I promised to be good and made sure to communicate with the mechanics of what I was doing and to be sure that my gear was not going to be in their way.
Like most shops, the doors had nice big windows to let a lot of natural light in and there were big high pressure sodium lights above which just happened to be balanced to daylight Kelvin (warmth) level to make things easier for me.

One mechanic asked me why I was taking the photos of a shop and that he thought it was a rather boring subject. I told him that was the challenge. Make something really normal look interesting. Hopefully I met my goal. In the photo above you can see a nice tropical house plant riding shotgun in the passenger seat. The customer was having cooling troubles. Not good when you have a plant as a passenger...

Three of these photos were taken with a flash (speedlite in a softbox) to create a bit more contrast and detail. Two used natural (ambient) light to capture the mood. Here's the challenge: guess which are lit with flash and which are lit with ambient.


No comments:

Post a Comment