Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Going old school (film)

Today was my lucky day. I was having coffee with an old friend of mine and he mentioned his late father had an old SLR camera and he didn't know what to do with it. Just the past couple of days I've been looking at and considering a film camera to experiment with and now this comes up! Pete (my friend with the camera) offered the camera to me and I gratefully accepted. I really feel honored to receive what was surely a treasured camera to Pete's father. It is a beautiful circa 1985 Olympus OM-PC with 50mm, 1.8 and 70-210mm zoom lenses with filters.
I hadn't used a proper film camera since the Pentax K1000 back in 1988 school art class so there is once again a learning curve. Funny thing is, my last DSLR was an Olympus which had a unique way of displaying the light metering and this camera is no different. In truly quirky Olympus fashion the actual light metering is not shown but instead you get the suggested shutter speed. It works - just different from anything else.
This afternoon I went for a little stroll downtown and snapped a few test shots with some very old film that was provided with the camera so we'll see what happens. All I know is the camera sure feels nice! It is so small compared to my Canon 7D. It also takes me forever to set the camera up for a shot. I'll get faster but there is no way I'll be as fast as I am with the Canon. Also, it is strange not getting the instant gratification of seeing your photo on the camera display. I have to go get the film processed to see if anything worked. How archaic, yet it makes me look forward to seeing the results, somewhat like looking forward to see what is in your Christmas stocking.
I'm sure this camera will enjoy it's new home. And thank you Pete!

No comments:

Post a Comment