Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What have I become?

Putting myself out there is something which I think I have to do to establish myself as a photographer. But at what cost? Sometimes I feel a bit self indulgent or maybe somewhat of a narcissist, but should I? I don't know... To get some added press I got a blurb in the Citizen news paper a while ago and there's another coming out in the News Leader/Pictorial soon. I also contribute occasionally to the Valley Voice magazine. All this local publicity helps for sure, but can it also backfire? Maybe. Maybe it is the right direction to take. I have discussed this with another well known artist and I was told this is what has to be done to get a name established. It is not something I am totally comfortable with but I love taking photos so if I need to be a little aggressive with my approach it may get me up and running faster. And at 37 years of age it's not like I can just wait around for people to come seeking me out.
The other factor weighing on this is my other business which is Everti Bicycles. I love bikes and love cycling. I always have and always will. This is what got me going with photography, doing product shots of my bikes and photos of my riders at the races. I have to make sure I do not overlook what I've spent the past 10 years building here.
At any rate, I am working to achieve a balance which will see me successful in both my endeavours and I am enjoying the learning process in photography, just as I enjoyed starting my bike biz years ago. I guess things will sort themselves out...

No comments:

Post a Comment