Thursday, February 10, 2011

Making it happen.


I like to take time to talk to people when I'm doing what I do. You never know where the conversation will go. I did a photo of a popular local photographer, Paul Fletcher, a while back and we had a chance to talk. He's instrumental in the conservation of the Somenos wetlands in the Cowichan Valley as well as being a City of Duncan councillor. Busy guy doing things that positively impact us. Thanks to Paul's work, there is a great boardwalk at the Somenos marsh where you can view the wildlife and nature. I also found out he was behind the new dock on the marsh that I had taken a photo of last fall.


A couple weeks back I met with Damon Griffiths, a business student who was working on an assignment and wanted to interview me. He had to pick someone who had been in the news lately and contacted me so we met and talked. It ends up that Damon is learning all he can about business as he's one of the new owners of the Canada Building in downtown Duncan. Some of you will know this building has seen better days but Damon and his business partners have great plans for the site. He was kind enough to tour me through the building and he showed me a suite where there had been a legal office. It had a cool little board room with a skylight and a glass block wall. I had to get a photo of that! I'm hoping to go back there and use the room to do portraits for others. See the Damon sample shot below:



And this is why I love taking photos of people. You never know when you'll meet someone with a cool story or learn something great or just make a good connection. You just have to take the time to listen and learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment