Friday, May 20, 2011

Movin' on up.


In British Columbia the provincial legislature in Victoria is the highest level of government, with 85 elected MLAs (members of the legislative assembly) who, under the Premier, run the province. Admittedly, I know very little about how government operates so I'm not going to pretend or toss out any more information at the risk of making myself sound completely ignorant... So I'll just tell you about my day at the legislature.


Doug Routley, the local MLS for Nanaimo/North Cowichan, kindly invited me to come to the capital and see what happens behind the scenes. This sounded great to me as I've never had the opportunity to step through those doors, even as a tourist. Now I was getting a guided tour from an MLA and an electronic pass that let me through all but office and maintenance staff doors.


After a little walk about in the legislature, Doug had to attend a meeting so I went for breakfast and then outside for some shots of the building. I know these may look a bit touristy but hey, I've never taken any shots of this place before. Actually, the shot above could only be taken if you have the special pass.


After Doug's meeting he had a school group to address, giving some background as to what the government does and answering some questions.


Then it was back to his office where he was doing what an MLA does - talking to people from his community who have issues that need attention.


We then went for lunch and I was introduced to some more MLAs and I was so surprised how down to earth these people are.


After lunch I happened upon a media scrum and since I was a guest I didn't have to abide by the media's rules - I crossed the media zone and got this shot Kevin Falcon, minister of finance, from a different perspective.


After the scrum, it was interesting to hear the media discuss how they were looking for something more interesting from the MLA interviewed. Always looking for the big story... I then sat in the gallery to watch the Question Period, which was entertaining with lots of energy, silliness and politics, but no cameras allowed...


Doug had to deliver his concerns over a new budget proposition and I was able to find a way to get photos of this - go down to the communications room! The guys down there were most helpful and provided a cool shot below.



This shot is looking into the library rotunda. Marble, marble and more marble. They were setting up for the premier's presentation to the media regarding a new treaty agreement. I heard from one MLA that the past premier, Gordon Campbell wanted the library and rotunda as his office. That idea was shot down. Go figure...
For me, this was an opportunity to meet some people who I would like to do some work with and I got to see things I would have never seen without the invite from Doug. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment