Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Green Room


Sometimes you have to improvise. I was at the Duncan Garage Showroom last week to grab some shots as there were a few bands playing that night. I like to grab the behind the scenes pics that you don't get to see when you're in the audience. Well this didn't really pan out as there wasn't enough time for the bands to set up so they just sound-checked one set of instruments and everyone was going with the same setup.
I was walking around wondering what to do. Then I realized the green room! Normally a "green room" is a room where a band can sit down and relax before their show and in this case the room actually had a vibrant green wall.
Naomi Middlemiss (top) was there picking up a photo CD I had for her and I noticed her hair was reddish and her clothing was complimenting the green wall... I had a plan!


I went back to my van and grabbed one flash and a softbox. Always bring more gear than you think you'll need! After the fist shots of Naomi (top photo) the other bands were lining up to get their photos taken. It was a really fun way for them to kill the time before their show and I got some great photos, some of which are being used by the bands.  To avoid over-doing it with the green, I have made a couple of the images black & white which works out well as the wall had a nice texture to it too.


As a photographer, one has to be flexible. You may walk into a different situation than you are expecting and you have to come out with something useful or you're just wasting time!

http://www.kurtknock.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment