Thursday, March 8, 2012

A helping hand.


It felt great to be part of the Healithest Babies Possible, Love Yourself day again this year! I was asked to come by and take some photos of these young families for them to look back on as they progress through life.
This was once again, such a feel-good event that I will of course say yes if asked to help again next year. Being part of something good is so rewarding. I know I should give back more often than I do but when I do, I give all I can. Everyone there was totally into giving. Smiles on every face. And I got to capture that. To archive it. These families now have photos to look back on and say, yes I looked good and felt good!
This year I even had an assistant, Shae Clutesi, the owner of Outlooks for Men (Duncan) along to help get people ready for the photos. Shae allowed me to relax a little and really focus on the little details and she also kept her eyes open for the things that I missed. Sometimes when setting up a photo you just don't see that stray hair or flopped shirt collar, etc... So an extra set of eyes is so helpful! Not to mention, Shae sat in as my test subject as I set up my lighting.
I think people often overlook the power of still images. You can look back on them years down the road and still get a sense of the emotion that they carry. Video is great but you can't study it like a photo. A photo can be looked into. The subject is there for you to examine. The time is frozen in the frame of the photo. That can be a powerful thing that can be put to great use and purpose.
I was unsure who I'd see there this year. There were new families but unfortunately fewer volunteers than last year. I think with the economy the way it is, it's just too difficult to take time off work to pitch in.
Hope Farm provided some delicious home made pizzas! Good work guys!
Thanks to all these families who let me into their lives, if even just for a few minutes, to capture a moment in time.



No comments:

Post a Comment