Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Just shoot me.

This entry is a little different. No new photos from myself to show. I've been very busy and just need to sit back and relax a little.
Like most families, we were in desperate need of some photos of all of us together. I have tried setting my camera on the tripod, setting the timer and running back and forth after the shot was taken to see who was blinking or making a silly face. It does not work well and I find it pretty stressful. To me it is way, way, way more stressful than the most stressed I have ever been while doing photos for a client. When it comes to your own family, you have expectations of yourself and your family members (like a silly 4 year old son in particular) which can make the experience a real challenge.
Lucky for me, I have a friend, Paul Fletcher, who is a great photographer. And I trust him. I like his work. It is quite different from my style which is great. We should all strive to be different. And get this - He was actually our wedding photographer way back in 1999 when photographers were using film and did it the hard and expensive way.
Over the past year we have chatted a fair bit and I've taken some photos of him so he was keen on returning the favour. I'm not sure if he knew what he was getting himself into...
Being a typical family with young boys, we had to reschedule our photo session a couple times due to illness. Kids just tend to be sick when you have something booked. But finally the stars aligned and we had our chance to sit back and have our photos taken. For me this was fantastic. I haven't had a family portrait since I was a kid. Paul was the last professional to take my photo and here he was again, 13 years later.
It was fun to be in his studio and just sit there and let the kids be who they are. Yes, Kole was being silly. Rhys was being a very serious baby. And after a while my smile was starting to feel unnatural. Nina was just being her beautiful self :) 
Now I know what it feels like to be on the other side of the camera. Always good to see things from another perspective.
 
Thanks to Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment