Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Product photo art...


Product shots are sometimes boring to look at. For this reason I was happy to work with local potter, Hilary Huntley, of Trial By Fire Pottery. She's an artist who wanted an artistic way to show her fine pottery in print form. I was interested as I had an idea of what she wanted and how to go about doing it.


First consideration was to have the pottery look natural. Not floating in space like lots of product shots give the impression of. Hilary showed me a book with photos of creative teapots that had backgrounds that were really not flattering. Sure your eye was drawn the the subject but the background was so artificial looking. OK, so a black or white backdrop was not going to work here. We needed something more organic. A nice woven material worked just fine!


Then I had to ask - what level of detail to show? A shallow depth of focus looks more artistic but shows less detail of the whole product. Hilary chose shallow depth of focus. Cool!
I got to play around and arrange the items as I liked and it was fun! I've never dabbled in still-life shots but now I can see how it could become interesting. Some of the shots I got, in my opinion, looked like a print you might hang on the wall, more so than a product shot. This made me super happy and Hilary was happy too.


Another nice thing about product photography is the ease of taking the shots once you have the camera, lighting and other stuff set up. You basically put the product on the table, focus, shoot, and repeat. Well, it may not be that easy, but it's a lot easier than catching portraits of frisky dogs! :)
I could have gone into more detail of how the lighting and camera was setup but I'm not sure if that's what people want to read. Shoot me some feedback if you'd like more tech!

No comments:

Post a Comment