Thursday, December 16, 2010

A day in the life...


Sometimes it is fun to put a project together just for the sake of trying something out. A while back I rode shotgun with my brother who is a logging truck driver. I was hoping to get some cool shots of the industry that people seldom get to see and hopefully market these photos to industry publications. Turns out the industry publications I contacted only use freely submitted photos and don't have a budget to pay for professional photos. At least I got some interesting shots...
My brother Kevin also rides and races road, mtb and cyclo-cross so I of course have some cool shots of him on the bike.
And once in a while Kevin likes to head out to the awesome "shed" he built himself to do a little work on his Harley or clean up his bikes and maybe enjoy a beer. So I thought it would be fun to catch him relaxing here. This was the hardest spot to take photos as there was no useful light other than my flash and a little continuous light I use for fill. And it was really tight in there! But I'm sure Kevin didn't have photo-shoots in mind when he designed the shed so its just one of those things you have to learn to deal with.
The point here is capturing someone in their natural "habitat" or environment. I like the honesty of shots like these as they really show who the person is, no props involved. With just a few photos of my brother you can probably get an idea of who he is and what he does.
So, this is something that I want to do more of. A day in the life of... 

No comments:

Post a Comment